Thursday, October 3, 2013

Paying It Forward

I vividly remember one of my first assignments in my doctoral program. I was asked to email scholars in my field and ask them about their career path. It was daunting. I blindly emailed "big names" and waited.

One of those scholars actually called me...on the phone...and we talked. We talked about his career and my ideas, and he offered to be a resource as I moved through the program. We corresponded a few more times, but my research went in a different direction. What I really remember was the feeling of becoming a part of something, or being so grateful that an author I had read actually wanted to talk with me--and didn't think I was a moron. It was a transition; I started to see myself as a part of the academy.

A few weeks ago, I received an email from a doctoral student who had read one of my articles. That is always a heady feeling--someone across the country actually read what I wrote and wants to use it. She had a few questions about the article and her work, and I was more than happy to answer. I received an email back that made me giggle. She was me. Completely dumbfounded I had responded and offered to be a resource as she moved through her program.

Over the past few weeks, we have been emailing. It's been fun to help her think through ideas and theory and be the cheerleader she doesn't have on her committee. It still feels a little odd to be on this side of that conversation, but I'm glad I can pay it forward--and I hope she will as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment