Wednesday, August 17, 2022

A Life Well-Lived

I've been delaying this blog post--mostly because I'm still trying to find the words. Since I dropped Mom off at the airport this morning to head to Ohio again, though, it feels like it's time...

On July 27, Grandma Judy went Home to be with Grandaddy. On July 1, she had turned 95. July 6 she began to become ill, and on the 25 she went into Hospice. Those details are not important, though. What is so vital is the way she lived:
Judy was a pillar of grace. I never saw her flustered. She had the voice of an angel and a contagious laugh. She was quick to tell you, "I'm having a wonderful time!" My kids remember her love of chicken wings and her ability to completely clean them--not one scrap of meat left behind. I remember her teaching me how to walk with grace before my first homecoming and playing soccer with us as kids. We didn't always agree politically, but she respected where I stood and never tried to change my mind. She loved us fiercely and constantly reminded us how proud Granddaddy was of us. I still hear her voice often.

She is a model of how to live and how to make a graceful exit. She is greatly missed, but we are better for having been hers.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment