Monday, November 18, 2019

Music for my Soul

For a few years now, we have had season tickets to the ballet. This year, when we renewed our tickets, we also received tickets to go see the Chamber Orchestra of the Triangle. 

Our tickets happened to be for yesterday, and they were performing at the Carolina Theatre in Durham. The theatre itself is beautiful. It was originally built in the beaux arts style in the 1920s, and it was fully restored in the 1990s. Sitting amongst all the gilt and velvet listening to the orchestra was amazing.

They started with the William Tell Overture, moved onto a sung German piece of five unrequited love poems, and then ended with a French piece that reminded me a lot of Camelot. As I was listening to the soprano sing in a language I didn't understand, I couldn't help but cry. You didn't have to know the words to feel it so deeply. At that moment, I remembered that I need to do this more often. There is something so unbelievably moving and soul-feeding about a live orchestra. Watching the cellos and violins--the way they move with the music. The artistry of the conductor. The roll of the timpani. 

It's just pure magic, and I need to create space for it more often.


No comments:

Post a Comment