Friday, June 27, 2014

Closing Doors

This week has been a blur. Issa had dance intensives and evening classes started back up, and I wrapped up everything at work so that I can now take a much-needed two week vacation. The intensity of the week just makes the vacation that much sweeter.

The big news, though, is that I just got home from dropping Evan off for his last day at Tiny Tots. The morning drop off there has been a part of our lives for nearly eight years. While I certainly won't miss writing that check, it's still a little surreal.

This morning, Evan delivered little gifts to the teachers that have been there his entire life. He chose necklaces for his teachers (which now seems to be his go to gift), a candle for his helper, stickers for the director, and a set of spoons for the cook. As we delivered each one, he beamed and I bit the inside of my cheek. Miss Ruthie, who has cooked every breakfast, lunch, and snack for both kiddos, did cry, and hugged both kids many times before hugging me. How do you say goodbye to someone who has loved your kiddos as her own for this long? Who has changed menus to make favorites when they were feeling a little punk? Who prays for them every night? I don't have a graceful way to do it.

I promised we would stop by to visit occasionally, and I really hope to. But I also know that may not happen as often as it should. I do know I will be forever grateful for these women who poured into my children so I could pursue my dreams. I know they were loved well, and for that I am truly thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment