Thursday, May 12, 2022

A Great Loss

 A week ago, we lost one of our colleagues to cancer. It's been a wild ride of a year and a half--one where she was originally given six months. Two weeks ago, she was given a month. Last Monday, we got word she was not at all well. Wednesday afternoon, we recorded a message for her. She passed Wednesday evening.

The past week has been a blur of emails and phone calls and arrangements and tears. I don't want to focus on any of that, though.

Liz Droessler was a force. She loved fiercely--the arts, her students, her people. Talking with Liz made you feel like you were the only person on the planet. She gave you her full attention. She was effusive with praise and gentle in critique. If she asked a question she was genuinely curious. She was insightful and passionate and everything you wanted in a friend.

She also loved my kids. This was the first dance competition when she wasn't on the livestream. I cried off and on all day.

I'm still trying to figure out what life looks like without Liz right beside us. I've been trying to find words, but I just can't.


No comments:

Post a Comment