Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Happy Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is kind of a big deal at our house. We spend the first thirteen days of February counting down to the big day. Every morning, the kids and Brad wake up to some little treat reminding them how much I love them. It's so fun.

And I wait for the big day! It was Brad and I's first date, so it's special in so many ways. Brad had planned the perfect surprise date for me years ago, and it ended hysterically when the restaurant lost our reservation and we ended up at Taco Bell.

Well...it's kind of been the pattern ever since. Life and work has been crazy lately, so we've been hanging on for dear life. I had huge plans of heart shape burgers and purple sweet potato oven fries, but there was a dance mom emergency that derailed the prep time. I called Brad to let him know dinner was going to be late, and he suggested we punt to plan b: frozen appetizers.

It's not what I envisioned, but we lit the candles and sat around the table. The kids chatted about their Valentine's exchanges, and Brad and I told the story of our first date. It was fun and warm and a celebration of love.

A few years ago, I'm pretty sure that scene would have put me over the edge, but I've gotten pretty comfortable with less than perfect evenings--they make the best memories...

No comments:

Post a Comment