Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Last Competition

We celebrated Issa's last dance competition this weekend:
She started with jazz, which is one heck of a way to start:
They all come off exhausted from this dance, but I love the energy:
Then she had tap. This isn't the best picture, but it captures the moment she and Bailey make eye contact and smile so big:
These friendships show up onstage as well as off.
And she ended the day with her solo:



Her final moment on a competitive stage:
The competition honored seniors and gave them each a key chain:
And I spent most of the day teary, which I did not expect, and I'm blaming this woman:
Stephanie built more than a studio; she built a family. I had wrapped my head around the fact that this was Issa's last competition, but I forgot that it was also mine. When I walked in and started getting hugs from all the mom's, it hit me, and I'm still teary typing this two days later. 

The high school team stayed backstage to watch Issa's solo, and after they hugged her those sweet girls came off stage and hugged me. All of us (but Issa) were in tears. Issa was actually the last one out, and she was just beaming.

I have loved watching Issa on stage--especially this year when she is truly having fun. I was ready to close that chapter with her.

What I am still processing is that I am closing a chapter with each of these sweet families, though. We will still show up to support our friends, but it will be different. It has been one of my greatest joys to watch these girls grow on and off stage, and I will miss closing their chapters with them. Thank goodness we still have recital.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment