Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Day 258: Emmanuel

 As part of my work, I need to listen to every press briefing that our governor and health secretary hold. Changes are fast and furious, and I have to be ready to pivot--and help my beginning and student teachers pivot--on a dime. Hearing straight from the source is mission critical right now.

That said, I've lost count of the number of briefings I've listened to in the past few months. I will admit I have cried on more than one occasion. Yesterday, however, was the first time I was moved to tears in the best way by a news conference. 

Yesterday's briefing was one more plea for people to stay home, keep celebrations to just immediate family, and to move Christmas services to a virtual format. The final speaker was Reverend White, and I wish I could remember where his church is. It has stayed virtual since March, and I would gladly tune in to listen to this man preach.

Yesterday, his message was Emmanuel, God With Us. He reminded us that Isaiah stood in the wilderness foretelling Emmanuel, God With Us. On Christmas, Jesus came--literally Emmanuel, God With Us. Now, in the midst of this crazy pandemic wilderness, He is still, and always, Emmanuel, God With Us. Not God With Us in a building--God With US. Where we are. It was a beautiful reminder for this season and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment