Monday, July 15, 2019

She's Home!!!

Last week was a very big week for our girl! She spent the entire week at UNC Greensboro at Chorus Camp.

Sunday afternoon, we moved her into her first dorm room:
 This camp is so impressive. I can't believe how much of a college experience she had. Issa has always been independent, but they pushed her to be even more so. Check-in started at 1:30, and campers have to register themselves. Parents can kindly wait out of the way. She made it through the line and came back with her room assignment ready to move in.

After much gnashing of teeth, she decided to go with a random roommate. It was everything I prayed it would be! Jane was a super sweet kid, and she and Issa became friends. They settled in together, and by 2:30 Issa told us she was good and we could get on our way. At check-in, she had been given a list of things to do after we left, and she was ready to start checking that list off! I almost held it together as we left her dorm--painfully aware of how soon this won't just be for a week.

We had told her we wouldn't call or text her, but she was welcome to reach out to us. She texted every night at bed time, and I would be lying if I said I didn't anxiously await those texts. We laughed at her pride in mastering the dorm showers, ordering Chinese food for a late night snack, and navigating campus. She got herself up every morning, made new friends, and generally had the time of her life.

Friday, we got to pick her up! My family only slightly made fun of how early we got there, but I was anxious to see her and didn't to have trouble parking:
We ate dinner in the dining hall with her and listened to all of the stories. So many stories. Their concert was truly amazing, and I just couldn't quite believe how very grown up she looked and how at home she was on that campus.

This weekend was filled with lots of snuggling and Gilmore Girls. And I'm just so very happy to have my girl back.

No comments:

Post a Comment