Monday, July 31, 2023

Book 23: The First Dud

I finished book 23:

 I read Wicked by the same author and thoroughly enjoyed the retelling of the Wizard of Oz story. With Scrooge on the front, I expected this to be a retelling of A Christmas Carol. Friends, it was not.

I honestly don't know what this was. It was part ghost story part love story part novel within a novel and all kinds of messy. Half of the threads just get dropped somewhere around the two-thirds mark, and Scrooge is mentioned a few times as being possibly inspired by the great-great-great grandfather of the main character. 

This is one of those books that really could have used some serious editing. Pick a story line and finish it completely. The ending is a sad fizzle that leaves most of the tale untold. 

I guess I was due for a dud, and boy was this a dud.

No comments:

Post a Comment