Wednesday, June 8, 2022

What Teachers Make

 I taught the last content session of my three-week intensive this morning. They will be in the field for the next two days, and I will have plenty of grading coming in. But this morning was the last time we will all be together.

This course is brutal for all involved. By the last week I am willing people across the finish line. I loved teaching this group, but we will all be glad when this one is behind us.

After I wrapped the course and launched them on their way, two of them stayed behind. Both wanted me to know that my class was challenging--the hardest they had ever taken. That I made them think really intently about questions that don't have absolute answers. Both loved the class.

See. That's why I do what I do--why all good teachers do it. We make students do what they think they can't. We set the bar impossibly high and then cheer when they clear it. We make them hate us and love us at the same time. That moment at the end of the class...that moment makes everything else worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment