Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Practically Perfect

Starting last Friday, I had what will go down as some of the best days in recent memory. The boys headed to Mountain Quest Friday, and we girls settled in for a world-class girls' weekend!

Friday, we started with lunch and Zinburger and then Issa, Nana, and I headed out to find dresses for Tyler's wedding. We laughed at dresses that looked way better on the hanger. Had tears running down our cheeks when someone had a dressing room wardrobe malfunction. And we found them! And accessories. Mine was the biggest struggle, but I'm thrilled with this one:
 Issa was absolutely the most fun. To be young and athletic and look amazing in everything again. I love the dress she chose:

 And Nana found a super fun option, too!
 We finished Friday with dinner at the House at Gatewood, where we relived every moment and laughed until we cried again.

Saturday, Issa and I had big plans to be productive in the morning, but we settled for Gilmore Girls instead. Just as we were ready to actually start, Nana texted that we should go to lunch. Clearly that was the better option. We spent the afternoon eating pizza, finding the right jewelry to complete our ensembles, and getting our nails done.

We ended the day with a painting class! I've never done one, and I can't believe how well ours turned out:


It definitely won't be my last painting excursion.

Sunday. Issa and I did get up and get to work! We went to the grocery, packed, prepped meals, and then met the boys in Tennessee! Brad's brother and family had rented a cabin on Lake Norris, and they graciously invited us to crash for a couple of nights.

You know what one of the coolest gifts in life is: grown-up nieces and nephews. I have literally known these kiddos since birth, and to be able to sit with them and talk about career plans and big dreams and life is just incredible. And just to make it better, I still have the four-year-old to look at me with big eyes and ask Aunt Hedder to pretty please take her swimming. Clearly we did a lot of swimming. Well...she did a lot of jumping in and I did a lot of treading water and helping her back to the ladder.

I still am amazed when my kids are the big ones, playing hide and seek and being pulled around by a little cousin. I remember when they would drag the big cousins around, and it's surreal to see the full circle moments.

We played games and ate together and took boat rides. Brian rented a pontoon boat with a slide, and the kids thought that was about the best thing ever. I can still hear all of the laughter and squeals. As much as I wish I took pictures, I'm so glad my phone was in another room and I could soak up every minute. It was a very short trip, but we all left saying we need to do it more often.

We are barreling towards the start of school and routines. We put the fall wreath on the front door, and I saw the first tinges of crimson on campus today. I'm ready for the routines and structure again, but I am so very glad we had this last big hurrah to end our summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment