Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Paying it Forward

Every once in a while, I get a full-circle moment that catches me off guard at work. Last night was one of those in the best possible way.

I've been working on a research project with a group of undergrads for two years now. We met the purpose of the study, and we presented our findings. We could be finished. They want to publish, and they took a first pass at an article. Bless.

Last night, I remembered how incredibly difficult that first article is. We sat around the table and talked about what we have accomplished and far we have to go. Three of my students have already graduated and are ready to just move on--a perfectly valid move. The last, though, is still around, and she is going to take on this work as her thesis.

I will be her advisor, and I heard so many of the women who mentored me through my first publications last night. I remember so well the feeling of desolation when you have done so much and are told there is still so much to do. I also heard myself offering the same encouragement. Breaking it down into the same chunks. Paying it forward.

I will always be grateful to the women who poured into me while I was in graduate school. They took my terrible drafts and helped me get them into the world. I'm anxious to do the same on this project, and I hope she will pay it forward one day, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment