Thursday, December 10, 2015

Doing Life

I almost didn't post today. Nothing noteworthy happened yesterday. The kids had good days at school. Brad and I crossed a lot off our respective to do lists at work. I stoned some dance costumes and addressed Christmas cards. Brad cooked dinner and took Evan to the dojo. It was a pretty typical Wednesday. Nothing momentous to write about.

But in the light of all the headlines and Facebook rants and countless memes about being stressed, maybe a typical Wednesday is something to write about. It's easy to get caught up in all the chaos. The doom and gloom. But I'm refusing. There is still so much good. So much normal.

I keep saying, "Not my circus; not my monkeys," about a lot these days; I'm really trying to focus on what matters and truly practicing what I preach. After all, I have some not so little eyes watching. Issa and I just had a conversation this morning about staying in your own lane, which is sometimes a little wider than at other times. Fighting your battles. Practicing kindness and speaking out when it matters--with kindness and conviction--because sometimes they are our monkeys. Maybe, just maybe, if we could all focus on the monkeys that really matter as we are doing this life the world would be a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment