Wednesday, May 3, 2017

It Matters

It's May--a month known as Hell for any mother with school-aged children. If you are a college professor, it's just a cruel trick. The calendar is jammed with events for all my kids--the two I gave birth to and the 80-something I've adopted--and the school folders are full of requests and things that need signed. I have a steady stream of students needing signatures on all manner of forms. I'm tired of signing.

This year, it's all compacted because I'm getting ready to lead 17 undergraduates in Italy for two weeks smack in the middle of the crazy. I'm trying to get all of the i's dotted and t's crossed before I go and cramming all of the year end reporting into the next two weeks because it's not happening from Italy.

Needless to say, I'm burning the candle at both ends. I was quite literally dragging myself into the office this morning trying to find the energy to at least survive. When I got here, I found a bag of cookies and two of the sweetest thank you notes I have ever received. I would be lying if I said I didn't cry. Those thank yous, they are going to get me through today...

No comments:

Post a Comment