Thursday, May 10, 2018

I Want the Same for My Kids

I look forward to Wednesdays these days. Wednesdays are my carpool days, and as soon as I drop the girls at dance I head to Mom's house. We sip wine and chat without interruption until it's time for me to pick Issa back up. It's lovely.

Yesterday, Mom had a staff meeting at school, which means she wouldn't be home until 5. I should have gone home for a bit to do some laundry or sort the mail or do the million other housework things that needed by attention, but I didn't. Instead, I just went to Mom's anyway. I let myself in, made myself a sandwich because I was starving, and flipped through a magazine she had sitting on the counter. It wasn't until I was halfway through the sandwich that I started to giggle.

Even though I never lived in her home now, it's still home for me. I still feel comfortable enough to just walk in and make myself a sandwich. It's still a place to just be. I know it's because of Mom, and I know it will always be that way.

I want the same for my kids. I hope that when they are grown they will still just walk through the door and make a sandwich. I hope home will always be a place the can come and just be. And I hope they will come home often.

No comments:

Post a Comment