Wednesday, January 16, 2019

2019 is off to a running start...

For the past few Januarys, I have made plans to become a healthier, more balanced human being. It generally looks like me going all in, 110%, until about March when one thing falls apart and I can't manage and getting really frustrated and in a funk because I decide it's some character flaw of mine--super healthy.

So this year, I opted for a different approach for the same goal, and it's working! Instead of jumping in and killing myself (and probably those around me), I've made two or three small changes each week starting the week after Christmas. Thus far, I've:

1. Upped my water intake to the 64 ounces recommended (instead of the ridiculous number I used to pick for no good reason). Most days I drink more than that, but it's a nice, manageable goal.

2. Added a cup of detox tea to my afternoon routine. It's a nice mid-day pause and energizer in one.

3. Went back on my healthier meal plan. I use Always Hungry, which has been a great book for me. Basically, no sugar, no white potatoes, no processed grains. I feel so much better!

4. I've replaced my nightly wine with a mocktail. I've actually had a lot of fun pairing herbs or fruits to pop into sparkling water to match my meal. I realized the wine was more about the ritual, so I changed the ritual. I'll still have a glass of wine occasionally, but I noticed I sleep better without it.

5. Speaking of sleep, I'm a solid seven hour girl now.

6. I've gotten my skin care routine back as a routine!

7. I added a yoga moving meditation to my bedtime routine. I sleep like a rock after it!

8. I've added two morning flow yoga practices to my week--Tuesday and Thursdays mornings at 5:30 I'm on my mat--because no one interrupts at 5:30 am.

9. And what I'm most proud of: I've tied my running shoes back on the other three weekday mornings. The world is still dark and quiet, and I can run without wondering what's happening at home or who is watching my pitifully slow self. It feels good--cold--but good.

I'm leaving the weekend as rest days, which gives me a break so I don't burnout this time, and I am feeling so much better! I'm telling you, 2019 is going to be the year I get it together!

No comments:

Post a Comment