Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Sophomore Season Begins

Evan spent the week before vacation wrestling. Monday through Thursday, he had team camp at he school. Friday, I drove he and some friends to Charlotte for a dual:
Since it's off-season, only nine kids were able to go. Last year, this same tournament was Evan's introduction to high school wrestling, and he learned a ton and got over some nerves. This year, he was so much more relaxed:
He also wrestled so much better! I recorded it for Brad, and he couldn't even believe the growth from the end of the season to this tournament. He's been working really hard at Black Dragon, and he's settling into his own style. It's fun to watch.

This also marked the return to my first high school tournament. The cute top and shoes were replaced with a team t-shirt and sneakers. I also brought food that was actually eaten.

The core memory for me, though, will be the drive home. They slept the whole way down, but the way back I had three of Evan's friends plus him who were wide awake and hysterical. Last year, I drove kids he didn't know--including one of the same kids I had this year. They were delirious. We drove through Bojangles, and I kid you not they played the quiet game until someone cracked and then they just howled with laughter. It was so funny. 

The smell was awful, but I'm so grateful I had that day with them.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment