Friday, April 21, 2017

A Piece of My Heart

Last week, someone asked me what the hardest part of my job was. At the time I answered that it's 24/7. Then I lived this week and I remembered the real answer...

We are closing in on the end of the semester. Wednesday night, we had our senior banquet. Last night, I judged STUNT, our version of field day that ends with a lip sync competition among the classes. The seniors ended with "Lean on Me" and tears in their eyes.

And then I remembered the hardest part...May.

Every May, about 30 little pieces of my heart walk off of this campus. This year, it especially true. This graduating class is the first that I have seen all the way through the program. In some ways, we built what we have together. They helped me design the Italy program. I have gotten to see them truly become teachers before my eyes. We have laughed and cried and I have nearly killed them at times.

In a few weeks, they will walk across that stage and out into their own classrooms and the world beyond these walls, and I will miss them stopping by my office. I will miss running into them on campus. I will miss them. And that's the hardest part.

No comments:

Post a Comment