Tuesday, November 21, 2017

To South Carolina and Back Again

Last week, I took 21 lovely ladies to Charleston, South Carolina:
 We had a fabulous three days touring schools and taking in the history and culture Charleston has to offer. This is the third group I have taken there, but this was the first time we actually went to Fort Sumter:
 It was truly amazing to stand at the very place where the Civil War began. This is the flag that was flying at that moment:
 Our last stop was the aquarium, and it was a wonderful morning of watching fish and spending time with my two colleagues who traveled with us:
 I love the sophomore trip because I am able to get know my students very differently. For many of them, it's the first time they have traveled without family; for some, it's their first time out of North Carolina. I'm always exhausted when I get home, but I can't imagine not going.

When I got home, Don and Nancy were here for a visit! The kids loved taking them to the studio and the dojo, and I loved watching them just be with the kids in their own space. They played games and cards and made slime. It was lovely.

I took yesterday to recover a bit. Our dishwasher is dead (although a new one comes Friday!), so there were many dishes and general tidying after company. There was also laundry, where I discovered this:
Yep...Evan managed to somehow put his pants in the laundry with his cuff tucked into the sock. Impressive, no?

Today is the last day of school and work before our five day Thanksgiving stay-cation. We start cooking tonight, and we have big plans to soak in all kinds of holiday goodness. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment