Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Day 140: This is Happening

One, can we please notice that we are on day 140 of quarantining? Every time I type a number, I wonder if I should still be counting these days, but it also feels like I'm in too far. I think I will stop when students and teachers are reunited in classrooms. Until then...onward.

The kids and I finished back to school shopping. That was wildly different this year. They need so little right now since we will be starting online.

Evan is making the big move to middle school, which means his first binder. It makes his AVID teacher mother so happy. We ordered a good teal one online. I also opted for the plastic dividers with pockets; I know my boy. He had no strong feelings on the matter.

As Issa is making the big move to high school, there was no supply list. They just do what works for them. Issa is opting for a small binder for each class. She also wanted all manner of colored pens and highlights to "get my life straight." Deal.

That was it. We decided to wait on backpacks until they are actually going somewhere.

Since all of that seemed pretty anticlimactic, we developed a plan. I wanted to something fun to mark the start of school. So...we invested in really good water bottles. The kids have been begging for them, and we each chose our own color and a set of stickers to personalize our bottles. The Sunday before school starts, we will have a huge decorating party, and we will use them on the first day of school. We are all ridiculously excited about this.

It's funny, when the world doesn't give us solid turning points, we are creating our own, and it feels so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment