Thursday, August 27, 2020

Day 159: 150 Workouts and 8 Minutes

 Since January, I have been trying to make small, manageable changes in my life for my health--one change per month.

In January, we cut way back on meat. We eat vegan at least one day a week and vegetarian at least two more. I don't miss it, and I started to feel better.

In February, I started increasing my water intake. I now miss it if I don't get enough.

In March, I started using a fitness app to get in a workout every weekday morning. They are 20-30 minutes each. When I started, I struggled through the basic workouts. I didn't use the optional weights. Gradually, the workouts increased intensity, and I can hang. I invested in weights, and I've gradually increased the load. Yesterday, I completed my 150th workout in the app.

Over the next few months, I started making green juice as my afternoon snack. I drink more tea and less wine. I started meditating. I sleep at least seven hours a night. The order of those events are little jumbled for me, but I know each has had a positive impact.

This month, I added running three times a week. Brad has become my running partner. I'm using an app to help me safely build up strength and endurance instead of my usual over-do and crash option. Today was the first time I had a long solid block of running: eight minutes. It's not that long, but I didn't know if I could do it. I did, and I could have kept running. When the tone signaled it was time to walk, I cried. I did it. I felt good.

I'm down 20 pounds and four inches, and while I would love for those numbers to be bigger, I'm constantly reminding myself that's not what it's about. I feel better than I have in years. I opened a pickle jar last week without a struggle. I cut down and hauled to the curb a tree this week and could have kept going. When we went to the beach, I could tread for an hour in the ocean and then play frisbee in the sand. We are planning on hiking in October and I'm not worried about slowing my family down (except for my plant gazing). It feels good, and I can keep going one small change at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment