Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Two Weeks of Normal

I have declared this week and next Issa's two weeks of "normal summer." No camps. No tagging along to anyone's work (mostly). No schedules during the day. We are just hanging out. I think she deserves a little time to chill.
 
Yesterday, she played outside while I mowed. We did some of her summer homework, and we read together. She did some crafting while I cleaned and worked. It wasn't all sunshine; there were a few moments when she wanted me to do something and I needed to finish something else, but for the most part, I think it was just what we needed--both of us. A little room and time to breathe.
 
The highlight, however, was when we headed into the kitchen. I remember baking with Mom and Gram in the summer, and I was more than happy to oblige when Issa asked if we could bake something. Remember all that produce? How about some zucchini bread:
 
 Issa is getting to be pretty good in the kitchen, and we decided she was big enough to try the box grater. She really wanted the mandolin, but I don't think we're quite there yet!
She grated all the zucchini and measured and added everything but the flour and sugar. She cracked the eggs, and she did all of the mixing. All I did was grease the pans and slide them in the oven. The results were most delicious last night, too! I can't wait to see what today has in store for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment