Monday, March 24, 2014

The Good, The Great, and The Ugly

This weekend has been a bit of a roller coaster.

Friday at work was rough, so I was so glad when I came home and Brad was home. I was even more glad when he announced he would come with us to the library and then take us all out for dinner. It was the best way to start the weekend.

Saturday, we made our first trek to the Community Farm we joined. Best. Decision. Ever. The very first thing Issa was asked to do was gather the eggs from the chicken coop; she was in heaven. The next project was meeting Bo, the baby goat. I had no idea goats are so much like puppies. He's still little enough that he just followed us around for the morning. It was all well and good until he started nibbling on my pants. The rest of the morning was spent starting a fairy garden, prepping and seeding two long beds, and harvesting greens. The kids loved feeding the weeds to the pigs, and we all loved just spending the morning on the farm. You will find us there every Saturday morning barring other commitments. We love that the kids are learning where food comes from. We love that several of the beds go straight to a food kitchen. We loved the greens we were able to bring home. We love spending time working together. We also love that everyone there is so kind. We chatted, and they helped the kids learn how to use the tools. (I wish I had video of Issa learning how to use a pitch fork.) The kids are encouraged to help, but they are also encouraged to just wander the farm. There is a little section set aside for them to play in, and Bo loves having the company. It's a little slice of heaven.

Sunday, I took Issa along with me to work. We were taking the students to see the ballet Romeo and Juliet. Issa was entranced. It was beautifully done, and I had told her the story so she could follow what was happening. She is already asking to go see Sleeping Beauty when they perform it in May, and I'm quite certain we will make that happen.

In the midst of all of this, we had one major glitch. While Issa and I were at the ballet, Brad had Evan at the Minute Clinic. He has a raging case of pink eye. Poor kid. They gave him the drops, and we are home today. By this afternoon, he will no longer be contagious, and he already looks a lot better. His eyes weren't even matted shut this morning. We'll take it!

For now, though, I apparently need to go be the Joker...

No comments:

Post a Comment