Thursday, January 15, 2015

Practice

We had another two hour delay today, but everyone is back at school and work and attempting to pretend normal.

Since we had some extra time this morning, Issa decided to do her solo practice this morning. Here's what I love about this kid. She practices full out. Since Christmas, she has also decided to make a full practice--stretching and rehearsing--a daily effort. I'm all for it. The growth in both the skill and her comfort level has been incredible.

Here's the other side bonus: Evan is seeing it. He is seeing Issa work and improve, and last night, after some refining work in the dojo, I heard a horrible commotion upstairs. I went up to find Evan diligently practicing what he had learned that night because, "I don't want to forget, Mama." You knock yourself out, Buddy. Practice away.

Here's the truth: I don't care if the kids decide to change their "things" next year. I don't care if they are the best or the worst. All I care about is that they have something they love and that they learn how to work. I want them to know what practice can do, and I want them to feel that sense of accomplishment when the work pays off. They are starting to see that, and do that, and I will happily deal with any commotion that results from their practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment