Monday, September 21, 2015

The Not-Slumber Not-Birthday Party

Issa was very clear that she didn't want a big birthday party this year. There was to be no traditional birthday party "stuff." However, she did want to have a couple of friends over to spend the night. It was a bit of an adjustment for me, but I worked with it:
 She made a whole list of things she wanted to do, including making their own pizzas, having a popcorn bar, decorating not-birthday cupcakes, and getting their nails done:
 I loved listening to them giggle at the nail salon, and I loved how they bounced between tween and little girl all night. Mani/Pedis--check. Flowers painted on big toes--check.

When we got back home, the girls wanted Issa to open her gifts, one of which was a pom-pom critter making kit. They rushed upstairs to get started, and it wasn't long before I was being paged. Several trips up and down the stairs for more supplies later, I was invited to join them on Issa's floor. It was honestly one of the highlights of my year. I know it won't be long before I'm invited less, but sitting on the floor making a pom-pom polar bear while chatting with the three girls was priceless.

We made individual pizzas for dinner, and then we got to the real work of decorating cupcakes:
 16 cupcakes, a half a box of graham crackers, and three batches of frosting later, we proclaimed it a wrap. I'm not sure anyone ate a single whole cupcake, but oh we laughed. We discovered edible spray paint must be used lightly or it tastes awful. We discovered there is such a thing as too much frosting on a cupcake, and we learned I shouldn't talk and start the mixer at the same time (I was covered in powdered sugar). We also learned Evan will do anything for a laugh:
They choreographed a beautiful thank you dance, played Barbies, and giggled to no end. They included Evan when they were outside of Issa's room, and they were genuinely fun all night.

At midnight, I turned in the towel thinking they were snuggled in bed and all but asleep--wrongo. Apparently the saw 2:30. They all woke up in great moods, though, and had some pancakes before we said goodbye.

It truly was one of the very most enjoyable weekends I have had in a long time, and I would take these three girls anywhere. In fact, they might have just ruined me for all other slumber parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment