Monday, November 23, 2015

To Williamsburg and Back Again

One of the highlights of my work year is the sophomore trip. Every year, we venture off to somewhere out of state to see schools in a different context and to soak up some culture. This year, the students chose Williamsburg and we spent Thursday through Saturday soaking up the history. I think I learned more in those days than in my entire formal schooling about colonial history.

We explored Jamestowne and learned about the Powhatan Indians and the fort there. We even were able to go aboard a replica of one the ships that landed there. We took a lantern tour of Williamsburg to learn about trades, and we ate in a tavern by candlelight, listening to tavern entertainments. We toured two incredible schools, and we kayaked down Powhatan Creek, learning about the ecosystem and spotting herons, muskrats, fish, vultures, ducks, and bald eagles.

The entire weekend was so memorable, and I'm always grateful for the time away from campus to get to know my students. It certainly was a few days well spent!

No comments:

Post a Comment