Thursday, May 5, 2016

Growing

Brad's relatively new CEO was in town yesterday and today. It was a quick trip mid-week, and Brad asked if I minded if he came over for dinner. On a Wednesday--our craziest day because we have to be at both the dojo and the studio. Of course I said we should have him.

A few years ago, this would have triggered a cleaning jag and me pulling a near all-nighter to make a multi-course meal. No longer.

I made spaghetti and salad. I have to say I make killer spaghetti, and I can have it on the table in less than 30 minutes. We tidied, but I left things as they are. It was a lovely meal with a truly lovely man. He stood in our kitchen as I cooked. We talked about dogs and kids and of course their work. I was relaxed.

For a long time, I wanted nothing more than to be genuine and comfortable with our chaos. I stopped apologizing for toys on the floor. I stopped feeling like I could only invite people over under perfect conditions. Our home is our home. I love it. I love the touches of chaos. I want to invite people in, and those that are comfortable with our brand of chaos stay. I've finally grown into the voice I wanted to be. The one that says life is messy and chaotic and wonderful just as it is. And what I've found...no one has refused to stay yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment