Thursday, March 7, 2019

An Adventure and a Guardian Angel

We had a bit of an adventure last night. Brad was out of town, so Mom and I thought we would take the kids to our favorite Mexican spot for dinner. Unfortunately, they are moving to a new location and were closed last night. We changed plans to go check out a papusa place, but I only had a vague idea of the location. I put the address in Google Maps and off we went!

We were almost there, and we ran out of road--literally. The paved road just ended in dirt. Actually, it ended in mud. I tried to do a three point turn, but the car got stuck. Very stuck. We tried rocking. Mom and I tried pushing. The kids helped with the pushing. Nothing. We called AAA.

As we were waiting for AAA, the very kind man who lives where the road ends came home. He told us we were on a private road, and I apologized all over myself and threw Google under the bus. He just shook his head. Apparently this happens often. Then the magic happened. This kind stranger offered to help us out. He went into his own garage to bring out boards and a shovel. He wouldn't let me help. He tried to talk me through rocking it out. He actually got in the car to try to rock us out. He talked about his life and his building career. He talked about his frustration with the lack of road. He couldn't get us out.

We told him AAA was on the way, but he insisted on waiting with us because it was dark and we were stuck. When AAA did get there, the tow truck guy said a whole lot of car words I don't understand, so our new friend Ray stepped in again. He understood and made it happen. He actually turned my car around once the tow truck got it out of the mud.

I offered to pay him for his time and materials (those boards will never be the same), but he refused. I will send something in the mail--I know where he lives. I also called the city to see if they could at least put up a no outlet sign and let Google know the road actually ends. It seems the least I could do.

It's absolutely hysterical now, but I am so grateful my kids got to see a slice of all of the good that is in the world. We talked a million times about how I want them to be like him. I know will never forget Mr. Ray or his kindness...

No comments:

Post a Comment