Tuesday, March 5, 2019

An Open Letter to My Kids' Schools

To all the grown ups in my kids' schools:

I know today is a hard one. We dropped our kiddos off into your hands in a soft lock down because police are searching for an armed suspect not far from you. This one isn't a drill. It's real. I also know my kids are safe with you. Thank you.

This isn't about that, though. This is about you. I've been at your desk before. I've gotten the message that this isn't a drill. I know that pit in your stomach. I know how tight your nerves are today. I know you sat at your desk and sent up a million prayers and composed yourself before that first bell rang.

Because when that bell rang this morning, you fixed your face and you are teaching. You're telling kids to blow their noses. You are teaching with your eyes on the door. You are showing kids a new way to solve a problem. You have redesigned your lesson to keep your kids against the walls and away from the window. You are teaching kids how to listen and how to do math. You have already thought of the excuses you will make for the extra police cars and helicopters for the little ones so they won't be scared. You have rehearsed your speech about what is really happening so you can fake confidence and serenity when you tell the older ones the truth. You will have hard conversations with older kids. You will exchange meaningful glances in those rare moments you actually get to see another adult. Today will be hard.

You will spend all day looking into your kiddos eyes and knowing their families trusted them to you. You know this every day. But today, the weight is heavier. I feel it with you.

When we sign up to be teachers, days like today aren't on our minds. They become part of our reality. We accept that responsibility even when the world doesn't see us do it.

Please know I see you. I appreciate you. And I hope you take some time to fill your own cups tonight. You did good.

1 comment: