Friday, May 25, 2012

Home

We are home. I know that is not terribly remarkable, but usually we are headed North to celebrate Evan's birthday about now. For the first time, we are not making that trip, choosing instead to celebrate here. It's bittersweet.

It's a long trip--longer when we make a complete circuit in one long weekend. I won't miss the road time, the packing, or the unpacking.

I am missing extended family. I'm missing watching Grandma watch the kids play. I'm missing my "little cousins" being the "big cousins" my kids adore. I'm missing lawn mower rides with Papa. I'm missing giving Mom a hard time about getting cake just right when it's already perfect. I'm missing silly string fights. I miss my other home and the people there.

But I'm gaining. I loved being able to say yes to a picnic with friends. I love that Issa is already planning a party here at the house for her friends since we won't be making the circuit for her birthday, either. I love getting ready for Mom and Rich to come visit here next week--when I will give Mom a hard time as she works to get the already perfect cake even more perfect.

As the kids grow, I know traditions will have to shift. I'm sure practices and events will dictate some schedules. They may even have the nerve to want to do something with friends, and I will bite my lip as the set off on a grand adventure without me some holiday weekend. For now, though, I'll sip a little sweet tea this Memorial Day, and start a new tradition, and send a little love up North.

No comments:

Post a Comment