Wednesday, May 16, 2012

On Humility

Every newly minted PhD should have a kindergartner at home to keep them honest. Because you know, kindergartners know everything. The conversation Issa and I had last night:

"Mom, Morgan needs you and Daddy's help."

"What's wrong with Morgan?"

"She got a poinkey thing in her finger from a rope today!"

"A splinter?"

"Yes! And she was bleeding when she ripped it out. Can you help her since you and Daddy are doctors?"

"Oh, baby, she needs an MD. Daddy and I are PhDs."

"What's the difference?"

"Well, MDs are doctors of medicine, and they help people get healthy or stay healthy. PhDs are doctors of philosophy, so they help people think about ideas or come up with new ideas."

"And you are PhDs?"

"Yes."

"So you just think?"

"Well...I guess so."

"Well, I think of new ideas all the time, and I didn't even have to go to school for that. Do I get a hood, too?"

Thank you, dear, for keeping me humble...and honest...and no, you can't have a hood.

No comments:

Post a Comment