Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Cocoa Wine

It was cold and dreary yesterday. It had been raining all day, and I was feeling fall. Weather like that calls for something special for dinner, and I opted for coq au vin and a crusty bread:
 It was lovely. Evan insists it is called cocoa wine, which should make for some interesting circle time sharing this morning.

I love coq au vin. I love that it feels fancy and yet is so simple. I love that the chicken melts in your mouth and the kitchen smells like heaven all afternoon. I love that the recipe comes from this book:
The book belonged to Grandma Judy, and I love reading her notes in the margins. I love seeing which wines she paired with which dishes, and I love seeing her tweaks on the recipes. The cover warms my heart, too. I remember watching Jeff Smith cook on PBS when I was little. Mom loved watching him, and I can still hear his voice as I'm chopping onions and mushrooms. It's fall comfort in so very many ways, and I couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment