Thursday, October 4, 2012

When I Retire...

...I think I will open a children's bookstore...or better yet just work in one.

I have spent the last three mornings working the early shift at Issa's school book fair. We quickly decided I was not meant to be at the register because bar codes hate me. They do evil things and won't scan. It is clearly not operator error.

Bottom line: I got kicked to the floor. I love the floor. I wandered about helping children and parents find just the right book. By this morning, I knew those shelves like the back of my hand. You like kittens? Here you go. You want your child to start reading the Classics? Start here. It made my heart happy. I nudged kids towards more difficult books, and I love the smiles when they find just the right book. I could do this for the rest of my life.

In a move that is just so typical of Issa's school, several students came in this morning with winning tickets. Two from each classroom. Two little people that "won" gift certificates because the staff knew they needed books at home and there was a hardship. One little girl hugged her princess book so tightly and literally bounced in line because she was so excited. Another found a book she read in class that she wanted to share with her family. It was magic. To be a part of that...it's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment