Friday, October 12, 2012

Soccer Star

Check out our little soccer star:
 He and Daddy have been going to soccer for the past month, and Issa and I got to go to his first scrimmage last night! He was pretty proud of his new team shirt.

Our little man has a pretty powerful kick:
 And a maniacal laugh that follows that kick:
 Look at him run up to that ball:
The warm up was awesome. He was rocking it, and his first sports picture--be still my heart. I will post it when we get it because it may be the cutest thing ever, my little man with his foot perched on the ball. And then Daddy knelt in the picture and I nearly swooned.

After pictures, it was time for the scrimmage. Evan was on the jerseyed side:
 I'm not going to lie. It was a very rough start. It was the first time the kiddos had played without their parents beside them, and it was the first time they had done anything but drills. The coach was awesome, though, and just made it fun and about getting the ball down the field into a net...which is something for a field of three year olds.

Evan spent the first half miserable, his little hand up by his mouth and a pitiful look on his face. He didn't quite understand why everyone wasn't taking turns and why a couple little ones were trying to take the ball from others (also known as playing soccer--they came with experience). Daddy did some awesome coaching, though, and Evan finally started to have fun:
 See this:
That's my boy scoring a goal!

I will also be forever grateful to Carson's mom. She has an older son and is a soccer pro. She also understands that we are all in this together. When Evan was struggling, she started cheering, too. Calling his name like he was hers. When Evan landed hard on his back after a mighty kick and I fought every urge to run out there, she took my arm and said, "It's harder on us. He's great." I thanked her after the scrimmage: "That's what it's all about" was all she said, but I heard "It takes a village."

Evan ended up loving his first scrimmage, and we went out to dinner to celebrate. I have a lot of learning to do before I can do this sports mom thing, but his smile and that laugh make it all worth it...and I'm glad there is a village of mamas to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment