Thursday, October 17, 2013

I love my girl...

So, Issa is wicked smart and funny. The past 24 hours have produced some gems that warrant sharing.

Math homework with Issa is often a challenge. She can absolutely do the math, but her sense of logic gets in the way. Case in point, yesterday, she flew through the first page and all but the last story problem on the second without a single mistake. Then this happened:

"Mom, I can't do this last problem. It makes no sense."

"Issa, you did all the others. You can do this one."

"No, I can't. It makes no sense."

I wanted to bash my head into the table. "Issa, you are being irrational. Just. Do. The. Math."

"Mom, this makes NO SENSE. A clown had nine balloons. He gave away six. How many does he have left?"

"What is wrong with that? You can totally do that problem."

"Mom, if he was doing his job he would have no balloons left. Why does he have balloons left? The answer should be zero."

It's funny now, but yesterday I nearly lost it. She did agree to solve the problem if we agreed that he needed to know how many more children he could make happy with a balloon.


Last night, we started to tuck as always, and Issa had a moment because her stuffed animals were not right. Since she sleeps with a zoo, Brad and I knew this was going to be a process, so we decided to tuck Evan first. When we came back, she had sorted her animals by mammals, aquatics, and "Fluffer is in the middle because he is an unknown species." How can you not love a kid that whips out "unknown species."


This morning, Issa and I had a wonderful chat on the way to school about Santa's Elves and collectibles (long story), and just when I thought I couldn't be more amused by her, she started to get out of the van and bonked her head on the ceiling--just like she does every morning. Without missing a beat, she announced, "I have got to remember that I am a giant in this vehicle."

Seriously, I could not love this girl more.

No comments:

Post a Comment