Monday, October 14, 2013

Literally

One of my favorite things about being a mom is noticing my kids' little quirks. My very favorite quirks always have to do with words--the cute little mispronunciations or slightly misused words. Evan still says popsicles in a way that I can't even phonetically spell but makes me melt every time I hear it. Both kids love "prentzels" for snack.

For a long time, Issa's favorite word was actually. Every conversation had an actually--even if there was no logical reason to use the word. "Actually, I loved dinner." So did everyone else, my friend.

In the past week, Issa has a new quirk--literally. I have no idea where she got the word, but it enters every conversation, usually a little incorrectly. As in, "I literally love dance." Yes, baby, we know. "I literally need to clean my room." Yes, baby, you do, but there is really no figurative interpretation of that sentence.

It was literally very cute the first million times, but for now I wish the word would figuratively retire for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment