Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Decorations Old and New

The end of the Holly Jolly Weekend: the decorating.

We started Friday night after the Santa Train, and we scattered all manner of Christmas hoopla throughout the house. I declared this the year of letting go. I really tried not to move things the kiddos placed--unless it was in imminent peril. I loved listening to them remember the stories as we unpacked treasures, and I loved when Issa remember where something went every year and nestled it in to its special spot. 

Saturday, we turned our attention to the tree. The better part of the day was spent stringing popcorn and cranberries. Evan did half a strand by himself, and Issa did two ten footers herself. The rest I did. I loved chatting while we worked, though, and it just felt like Christmas should.

Sunday, we finally finished stringing and placed all of the ornaments. The kids did the lion's share of placement:
 I love our little tree this year. If you look closely, you can see Evan's two little straight lines of ornaments along the bottom. You will also see every handmade ornament Issa ever made is on the front of the tree. It makes me smile every time I look at it.

Sunday evening, Issa and I decided Daddy's desk needed a little holly jollying. We had been forbidden from putting a single anything on top, but he said nothing about the window. Ta-da!
Permanent snow. A fifty cent bag of cotton balls, a 97 cent tension rod, some fishing line I already had and presto--instant holly jolly. Even Brad had to admit he likes it, and I love the way it looks from the road! And now, we get to soak it all in and enjoy the rest of the season. Ahhh...

No comments:

Post a Comment