Monday, December 16, 2013

The Highlights

I've been sitting here searching for an adjective to describe my weekend, and I just can't find it. It was busy, but not frenetic, fun but not holly jolly, and productive but not manic. It was lovely in a very ordinary sort of way, but there were also moments of magic. I think it was a list sort of weekend...

1. Friday afternoon, the kids and I headed to a friend's for a play date since Brad was out of town. The kids played while the moms talked, and a play date turned into dinner. The kids had a wonderful time, and I had real, honest conversation. I guess I didn't realize how much I needed the adult time until I was in it, but it was a perfect start to a weekend.

2. Saturday, Issa had her first Company dress rehearsal. I was braced for drama and chaos, but we really had none. Her costumes passed inspection, and in a moment of pure maternal pride her bun was pointed out as an exemplar. We went out to lunch with some of her friends on our break, and we ended the day happy.

3. While we were rehearsing, Evan went on a date with Miss Steph. He had much fun and was just as tired as Issa by the end of the day.

4. Sunday, the kids and I went to see Frozen. Go. Just trust me. Go. I might go again. We are still talking about it around here. Evan is insisting on being called Olaf, and Issa only answers to Elsa. Magic. Go.

5. After the movie, the kids and I took a turn to do the PORCH pick-up. Once a month, our neighborhood puts donations for the local food pantry on our porches, and someone picks it up and drops it off. The couple that normally does it was out of town, so we took a turn. The kids had a blast running up to porches and loading the car, and it was wonderful to watch the van fill up with generosity. It was a great opportunity to have some real conversation with the kids, and they are hoping we can take another turn again soon.

6. Over the course of the weekend, the kids and I made all of the teacher gifts. Issa chose peppermint trees, and Evan chose cookies in a jar. They are finished, and the kids can't wait to share the love.

There you have it: our perfectly ordinary fabulous weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment