Thursday, April 23, 2015

One of the Big Kids

I have gotten used to Issa being one of the big kids. Aside from the tween eye roll she is working to perfect, I have seen her be the cool big kid to littler kiddos. I have watched itty bitties follow her through the studio. I have seen her polish tiny toe nails and play baby dolls when she truly has no interest any more because a beaming little face is looking up at her. I have come to love those moments.

Last night, though, my poor heart was thrown a bit of a sucker punch. I was sitting at ninjitsu watching Evan. They were doing some partner sparring, and I was lucky enough to have a seat closest to him and his partner, a little boy a couple of belts below him. For the first time, I saw Evan as the big kid. I watched him correct his partner's form and encourage him to try again. I watched him walk him through it several times until he had it. I saw them both beam when his partner got it, and I choked back happy tears when Mr. Brian complemented his coaching.

How did this happen? When did my baby become one of the big kids? They just keep growing up, and I'm so grateful to be along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment