What My Kids (and I) Learned Yesterday:
1. Dogs can overheat in thirty minutes or less.
We learned this because it happened to Buddy in our own backyard. He is big and dumb and didn't stop chasing butterflies.
2. When dogs are overheated they vomit--a lot.
A. Lot. The kids also learned how to help clean it up.
3. If the top of the shop vac is not latched it will blow instead of suck...
...and shoot the little bits of grass seed that were still inside all over your living room. We did get it fixed and it was very helpful with the clean up.
4. The worse thing you can do for a vomiting dog is give it water.
It will make things worse. Thank goodness for a fabulous vet who answers her cell phone and talks you through it. She was able to ascertain that we caught it early, and we were able to treat him at home. I did have to sit right beside him for thirty minutes to monitor.
5. Mom will lose her sh*t once everything is fine.
At the thirty minute mark, Dr. Wilson wanted us to open the front door. If he popped right up to investigate, he was fine. He did. I started sobbing. It was a great opportunity for us to talk about how even grown ups get scared and cry.
6. When we know better, we do better.
The dogs are now on AC lock-down for the foreseeable future.
All is well that ends well, but it was an afternoon I never hope to repeat. And I hope it cools down soon or these pups are going to drive us all crazy without long running jags in the backyard.