Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A Morning

So...just when I tell everyone I have this morning without Daddy thing down, the mornings this week are trying to kill me.

Yesterday, we awoke to a dead hermit crab. Tiny had been doing just brilliantly, but alas he was very dead yesterday morning. There were many tears and a swearing off of hermit crabs. Issa rebounded fairly well, but suffice it to say it was a rocky start.

This morning, I awoke to that familiar chirping of a smoke alarm. So at o'dark thirty I was hauling in the ladder and replacing a battery before it woke the kids or drove the dog any more crazy.

I could handle those two things, but then the unthinkable happened. I made a cup of coffee, just like always. I have a system where I make the first cup, pour it in a travel mug, and then make a second cup to drink before I go. It allows the travel mug to be the perfect drinking temperature for the drive. I set cup one on the counter and reached for the travel mug in the cabinet above. Then...I just sort of let go of the travel mug. I don't really know how it happened. All I do know is it fell and hit the edge of my cup of liquid gold causing it to spill all over the counter and run down the front of my dishwasher into a little puddle. I am not proud to say I just sort of stood there, watching it run, making note of the fact that everything had just been cleaned yesterday.

Thankfully, Issa was there to hand me the roll of paper towels and remind me, "We don't just watch spills get bigger, Mom," as she picked up the coffee cup on the way by. I cleaned up the mess, but I was one cup of coffee down on a day when I clearly needed an extra. In short, we had a morning.

Thank goodness Daddy comes home tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment