Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Still Little

First, let me say we had a morning that did not involve anything beeping, spilling, or dying. I am quite happy. Now on to the real story...

In the midst of the kids growing up way too fast, every once in a while I'm gifted with a moment when they are still really little. Last night, about two am, Evan came pattering into my room and didn't stop until he was literally lying on top of me with his little nose nuzzled into my neck.

"Mama, I'm vewy scawed."

That little voice only comes out when he is really tired or really scared, and last night he was both. He had a bad dream, and I knew from the way he nuzzled there was no tucking him back in to his own bed. He went pattering back to his room and came back with puppy pillow, Booboo, and his water glass.

Sleeping with Issa is roughly akin to sleeping in a den of lions. Evan, however, sleeps like me--very still and snuggled as much as possible. He even slips in without untucking sheets, just like me. He settled his special friends, and then snuggle into me, nuzzling that sweet little nose into my neck and wrapping his little fingers in my hair--just like he did as a baby. Before long, I heard the rhythm of deep, sleepy breaths. His little scared body relaxed, but he didn't let go or move away. He just needed his mama last night, and if I'm honest, it was awfully nice to have his little snuggles and to know that even as he grows up he still needs his mama.


No comments:

Post a Comment