Friday, August 28, 2015

Well Begun

I had my big opening event last night. It's the first time I see all of my students in one room every year, and I'm always amazed how much some of them have matured over the summer. My freshmen are wide-eyed, and my seniors are teary eyed. 

Last night, one of the best teachers I know came and did a pop up chorus with them. She rewrote "Dear Future Husband" to "Dear Future Teacher" to talk about the levels of professionalism required in our profession. The girls laughed and also had a lovely reality check. It's no small business they are entering, and I push them to do so with eyes wide open.

We ate tacos and chatted afterwards. I laughed and lectured and pushed and laughed some more. These are the moments I love in my job. I always called my students my kids, and these bigger versions are still my kids. These seniors will be the first group I have seen all the way through since freshman year, and I won't lie--it tugs at the heart strings a bit. I just know these young woman are off to touch so many lives, and I'm so grateful to be a part of the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment