Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sweetness

A couple of weeks ago, we heard Issa scream, "EVAN! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!" and then the tears started. I went flying towards the tears, and I saw a very confused Evan and a devastated Issa. Then I saw the torn paper and the empty notebook, and I knew.

Issa had a notebook that I had given her. It was nothing fancy: plain white paper in a pretty, floral cover. She had very carefully colored on only one side of the pages. Unfortunately, it was one of those books that looked the same frontwards or backwards...and Evan picked it up backwards...and saw plain paper...and ripped out a few sheets for a project. He kept saying, "Sorry, Sissy, sorry, sissy," and rubbing her arm, and she was still crying. As I held her, she sobbed, "Those were all my best ideas."

I know it is small thing drama, but it just broke my heart. Everyone should have a place to capture their best ideas. So...I promised to replace it, and we finally found a proper replacement this week. It's just a simple lined notebook, but when you use the magic pen it writes in different colors. It is a safe place for all her best ideas, and Evan knows he is not allowed to touch it. She spent some time capturing ideas to solve all of the worlds problems:
Evan very patiently watched and listened as she narrated. Then, I saw something magic happen:

Issa offered that he could write some good ideas, too:

She helped him hand-over-hand his name, and they laughed over some great scribble scrabbles, as Issa calls them. Sometimes...when they share like that...and laugh like that...and love like that...you just know you're doing something right. It's a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment