Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Year in Review

Just as I did for Evan after his birthday, I finished Issa's Year in Review yesterday. Although the physical changes weren't as dramatic as in years passed when she was tiny:


I was amazed by how much she has grown up, and I was also reminded how much a picture doesn't capture. And so...just as I did with Evan...I wanted to capture some of my memories--a Mother's Year in Review:


For my Issa:


Sweet girl, you have grown so very, very much in a year, and I have loved watching who you are becoming. Here is a list of the highlights, but please know it only scratches the surface of all I have learned about you this year:


1. You taught me fabulousness has no limit. If two bracelets are good, three is better, and there is no such thing as too much sparkle. I love that you have the confidence to go shopping dressed exactly as you see fit. I will never forget going to Walmart in a little black dress and onyx because you decided we should both be fabulous. We were the best dressed there--you in your boa and Easter hat. I was so afraid you would get self-conscious, but you never did. You were proud, and you were fabulous. You always are, and I hope you stay that true to yourself always.


2. You are the most creative little person I know. You always have a project going, and while the mess might make me crazy, I love watching you work. That creativity is starting to spill into music, and I can't wait to see what talents you choose to develop--you have so many.


3. This year, you took the leap into the world of hair and nails. From your first pedicure to your self-styled haircut to your choice to get bangs for big girl school, you grew up. I love sharing those girly moments with you, but I am also grateful it doesn't define you. You're just as happy digging in the garden, and I hope you never say no to an adventure for the sake of your nails. You're more than that.


4. You discovered the ocean this year! I will never forget your tiny self standing on the beach yelling at the ocean because it knocked you over last fall. This fall, you stood in the ocean and marvelled at its size and the roar. Never forget how small we are, and never let the bigger guy knock you down. I have a feeling you won't.


5. Speaking of, you are fearless. You took every new step in stride. You danced your first recital without a single nervous spell, went to a new school full of excitement, and tried so many new things. You inspire me to try something new and step out in faith--thank you.


6. At the same time, your heart is so big. For the first time, this year in review had pictures of your friend. I love watching you make new friends, and I love watching you think about them very purposefully. What would they like? How do they feel? It's a gift.


7. You are an even better big sister than friend. The love the two of you share is palpable. You are patient and kind and giving. He adores you. Remember you two are a gift to each other--and that is a gift to me.


8. You are also your daddy's girl. One of the highlights of my year has been capturing the moments the two of you share: walking hand in hand, snuggling, flying through the air. When he walks through the door and you light up, my heart still melts.


9. Your first year of life, I was ready for the milestones. No one prepared me for the fifth year, though. It was your first ballet recital, first time saying goodbye to friends as you started out on a new adventure, first day of big girl school, first reading...it was a year of big firsts. Your first year, I was braced; I knew those moments were bittersweet and anxiously awaited each one. This year, I wasn't as prepared, so they felt more bittersweet. You are just getting so very big, my angel. With each first came a new sense of pride. Certainly I felt it, but so did you. You are becoming more confident, more aware, and more anxious for life's adventures. I love you so very much, and I can't wait for the many, many more years of adventures with you. Thank you for letting me tag along for the ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment