Friday, February 10, 2012

My Middle Valentine

Yesterday was my Valentine's date with Issa. I think our faces say it all:
It was a bit more harrowing for me, but Issa had a blast. Evan spent two minutes choosing his; Issa spent almost an hour. She really is so very thoughtful. She wanted to find the perfect box--one that she loved and that all of her friends would love. That search required thinking about 17 people. Seventeen. It became humorous listening to her narrate the boxes. This person would love these Spiderman ones, but so and so is afraid of Spiderman. The Princess ones are cool, but so and so won't play with anything girly. These aren't sparkly enough for me. Another woman in the aisle was shaking she was laughing so hard. (She was picking out the Valentine's for her kids who were elsewhere; I see the wisdom in her plan.) She finally settled on these cat and dog ones. Fabulous.

Then...oh then we moved on to teachers' gifts. She decided each teacher needed a teddy bear...a $40 teddy bear. Yeah...that's not happening. I ruined her life momentarily, but she perked up and spent twenty minutes wandering up and down every aisle considering the options, looking for the perfect gift. She finally settled on some really cute cupcake candles.

Then...because I am clearly insane...we set off to choose a trashcan for her room. She convinced Daddy she needed one, and I got to help her shop for it. Fifteen minutes later we had a nice little silver trashcan with a foot pedal. Rest assured we stepped on every pedal to find one the opened nicely and closed without too much of a bang. We lifted them up to be sure they wouldn't be too heavy to empty. We contemplated silver versus white versus ivory. (White and ivory were eliminated because they didn't match her furniture.)

I was exhausted and on the edge of losing patience by the time we got back to the van, but at the same time I was so proud of how thoughtful she is. And she was one happy kiddo. I think that makes it worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment