Thursday, April 10, 2014

Mom Day

Yesterday was a full mom day. I answered a lot of email, but other than that I was on mom-duty all day.

My morning started with running coolers back to the school and then making way too many copies for the PTSA. With that off my list, I set off to the Natural History Museum with Issa's class:
 It was bar none the most fun field trip I've ever been on. We've been to this museum several times, but I had the best group. Issa's teacher gave me the chatty group, and they were chatty. But...they were chatty about what we were seeing. They asked great questions, took turns reading about the exhibits, and talked to each other as much as me. They were genuinely polite, kind, fun kids. They were patient when they were finished with an exhibit but their friends were not, and when I decided it was time to move on no one complained.

I also realized--again--how incredible Issa's teacher is. These skills had been fostered in these kids, although she won't take any credit. I also had a whole conversation in English with a little boy who spoke no English in August. He told me everything he knew about lizards so confidently. He is an entirely different child, and as I listened to him participate in conversations I couldn't help but get a little teary myself. I will forever be amazed by incredible teachers.

When we got home, I shifted into dance mom mode. We have a competition this weekend, so I was doing last minute costume adjustments for that. While I had everything out, I also finished Issa's solo costume:
We are both pretty thrilled with it.

I'm glad I had that kind of day yesterday because today is a 13 hour work day packed with meetings, observations, and our senior dinner. I won't see the kids until tomorrow morning, and that just never gets easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment