Thursday, April 3, 2014

What I Know

When I started writing this blog, my goal was to build a habit of noticing the little moments that make life great. I wanted to intentionally focus on the small moments I might otherwise miss in the hustle and bustle of everyday life. As I've continued writing, I've built upon that goal. I want to do more than just notice those moments; I want to be fully present for them.

This week has been a blur of running back and forth to camp and playdates and reading logs and stretching and cleaning and life. A few years ago, I would have been a haggard mess by now. This morning, I realized I have never been more joyful in my life. The reality: I'm behind on the laundry. The sink is full of dishes. There are books scattered all over our family room. Don't ask about Evan's room. The best part, though: I truly don't care. I'll catch up at some point. Everyone had something to wear and the kitchen has not reached health risk status.

Last night, Evan asked to snuggle, and as he sat curled up in my lap chattering away, I was able to listen to Brad and Issa working on her science fair project. I really don't know who was more excited between the two of them, but there is nothing better than listening to them bond over this project while snuggling my baby who will be five in just over a month.

This morning, I set the alarm to get up early to clean. But...when it went off a spring breeze was coming in through the window, the birds were singing, and Brad snuggled a little closer. I shut it off and just enjoyed that moment.

My crazy voice still comes out. I will eventually hit a point where I can't take the mess and will dervish until it's gone. But these moments are gifts that I am so glad I have finally learned to recognize, and the rest can just wait. I'm choosing joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment