Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Just a Really Good Saturday

Saturday was just one of those really good days.

Issa had dance rehearsal, which she is thankfully still loving. Not once has she even mentioned that she didn't want to go. She and I headed out to the studio and the boys headed to the farm.  As soon as she finished, though, we joined them. 

Saturdays at the farm are quickly becoming a family favorite. When we got there, the boys were planting squash. Issa set off to collect eggs, and she was beyond thrilled to find seven. I was sent to the hoop house to harvest greens. I love the hoop house. It nice and warm, and for many blissful moments I was alone, listening to the farm and harvesting chard, kale, and mustard greens. Eventually another mom joined me, and we chatted as we clipped. It's just easy to talk at the farm, and everyone just seems at peace there. 

Brad had a boot malfunction--like the bottom fell off--so he and the kids headed home while I finished up in the best possible way. I had a basket of greens that were well past their prime, and I got to walk them out to the goats. The beauty of that is there are now five baby goats at the farm, the littlest of which are less than a week old. Cute does not begin to cover it. One little guy was jumping straight off the ground all around me. He is a little ham and loves snuggles, so once I dropped my greens I didn't even need to lean over to scoop him up and give him a little snuggle. He just jumped right into my arms. 

I came home with a basket full of greens that would become dinner, grabbed a shower, and the Daddy took us all out to a BBQ lunch. As we were waiting Issa announced she wanted to play "I love you because" which turned into if I could give you any gift or if I could take you anywhere. We went around the table answering the questions about each other, and it just felt so organic. Some answers were so sweet and others made us laugh hysterically. It was one of those moments where we felt like we might just be getting this parenting thing right, especially when a woman stopped by our table to tell us how delightful our family was. 

We went from there to the grocery, and spent the rest of the day around the house doing not much of anything extraordinary, but we all went to bed knowing it was a good day, and that was more than enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment